Associate Professor, School of Information Science, Ionian University
In 2014 she was appointed deputy member of the Authority for the Medically Assisted Reproduction of Greece.
In the INSEIT board meeting of 22.6.2015, Maria Bottis was appointed as (the sole) Director of INSEIT.
Faculty Fellow (medical information ethics)-Center for Ethics and the Professions, Harvard University 2000-2001
Διαθέσιμο το αρχείο σε .pdf / Download .pdf file
Editor, Ionian Law Review (1999- )
Athens Law School, Ph.D in medical information law and ethics, high honors
Yale Law School (USA), LL.M, Onassis scholarship, Yale Law Scholarship
Cambridge Law School (UK), LL.M, NATO scholarship, Clare Hall scholarship
Athens Law School, JD High Honors, graduated first of class of 220
2010 – 2014 elected Member of the Board, International Society for Ethics and Information Technology, http://inseit.net/
2014-2017 Elected Co-Director, International Society for Ethics and Information Technology
EU expert on copyright/data protection issues etc, called for missions in Turkey, Azerbaijan, The Netherlands etc
Editor-in-Chief, Athens Law Review
National Foundation scholarship (IKY scholar), 1987, 1988
Onassis Foundation Scholar
Clare Hall Scholar
Harvard University scholar
Yale Law School scholar
National Examinations for College Studies in Greece, first out of all candidates (1/49.000) in all disciplines, 1988 points over 2000 (in 1985)
1985, Graduation from Lyceum, 20/20 points
Μember, Advisory Board, International Journal of Internet Research Ethics
Member, Advisory Board, European Journal of Health Law, Kluwer Law International Member
Member, Advisory Board, International Review of Information Ethics
Founding Member, European Association of Health Law
Member, Senior Common Room, Lowell House, Harvard University
Member, International Center for Information Ethics
Creative Commons Greece: Member
Member, Program Committee, 8th International Information Systems 2015 (IS 2015) Conference
- collaboration in drafting and incorporating creative commons licenses into the Greek system
- promoting the distribution of works under CC licenses in Greece
Founder: International Conference on Information Law and Ethics series (2008 - ) Official Website: ICIL
ISIL 2008, ISIL 2009, ICIL 2010, ICIL 2011, ICIL 2012, ICIL 2014
Co-founder: Medical Liability and Bioethics conference series (2013- ) (with Dr. Fereniki Panagopoulou-Koutnatzi), official website: http://conferences.ionio.gr/mrbe2014
Co-founder, Data Protection Symposium, (2012- ) (with Dr. Fereniki-Panagopoulou-Koutnatzi), official website: http://events.ihrc.gr/cidp2013/
Founder/Head, Ionian University Research Team: Information: History, Regulation and Culture, related information: http://ihrc.gr/about
Organizer of many seminars, symposiums, invited individual colleague presentations, Career Day (2003) etc
Chair, co-chair, member of the Program Committee in many Greek and international conferences – has delivered more than 60 speeches/conference presentations/individual lectures/contributions in seminars e.tc.
Reviewer in many Greek and international publications
Associate Editor, International Journal of the Book, 2006
International Review of Information Ethics, reviewer
Jones and Bartlett, reviewer for information law editions
Information and Communication of Ethics in Society (ICES) journal
Cambridge University Press, reviewer for information law books
15th Americas Conference on Information Systems
Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems 2009
ΙΤ and people journal
Expert member of LiSS Living in surveillance societies
Μember, Scientific Council for Information Society
Legal Counsel, Alpha Bank
Legal Counsel, Disabled.gr
EU Projects: Coordinator, Erasmus program, DALS, for three years until 16.1.2012
Elected Member of the Ionian University Senate, 2007-2008 and 2010-2011
Judge, US Scholarships for Μaster and PhD studies abroad for Greeks, 2014, Fulbright Foundation Greece
Nominated for the 2014 Simon IACAP award
Ιn 2015, Maria Bottis was appointed member of the IEEE Global Initiative Personal Data Committee.
Ιn 2016, she was appointed member of the UNESCO executive committee on bioethics of Greece.
The Greek Unit of the UNESCO Chair in Bioethics (Haifa)
Program Committee Member, First Workshop on Formal Methods on Privacy, Limassol 2016
Member of the Program Committee, E-Democracy conference 2017
In 2018, she was appointed as a Member of the Scientific Board of the Institute for Privacy Law, Data Protection and Technology (IPL) of the European Public Law Organization (EPLO). https://www1.eplo.int/ipl
In 1986, 2-30 July, attended a course at the International Summer University, Versailles, France, Section: Langue et Civilization Francaise Contemporaines
1989, TOEFL, mark 623
1993, accepted by Harvard Law School for LLM studies
1995, accepted by Oxford University, Merton College, for PhD studies
- Liability for the transfer of medical information in Greek and common law and ethics, Sakkoulas, 1999, in Greek (pp. 1-210)
- Medical Liability and Bioethics, 2013, Broken Hill Publishers, 2013 (co-ed.) (pp. 1-484) (in Greek)
- Tort Law Hellas, Kluwer Law International, International Encyclopedia of Laws, 2003 (pp. 1-363)
- The Law of Information, Nomiki Bibliothiki, 2004, in Greek (pp. 1-272)
- The Legal Protection of Databases, Nomiki Bibliothiki, 2004, in Greek (pp. 1-334)
- A Defense of Intellectual Property Rights, with R. Spinello, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2009 (pp. 1-218)
- A World for Information Law, Nomiki Bibliothiki, 2010 (ed.) (pp. 1-130)
- Proceedings of the 8th International Conference Computer Ethics: Philosophical Enquiry 2009, (ed.) Nomiki Bibliothiki, p. 1-750
- Values and Freedoms in Information Law and Ethics, 2011 (co-ed.) Nomiki Bibliothiki (pp. 1- 800)
- Privacy and Surveillance-Current Aspects and Future Perspectives, Nomiki Bibliothiki, 8. 2013 (ed.) (pp. 1-350)
- An Information law for the 21st Century, Nomiki Bibliothiki, 2012, (ed.) (pp. 1-681)
- Honorary Volume for Evi Laskari-Equity, Integrity and Beauty in Information Law and Ethics, 2013, Nomiki Bibliothiki (ed.) (pp. 1-850)
- The history of information-from papyrus to the electronic document, Nomiki Bibliothiki, 2014, ed., in Greek.
- Bioethical Concerns, pp. 1-821, ed. Papazissi, 2014 (in Greek)
- Lifting Barriers and Empowering the Future of Information Law and Ethics, University of Macedonia Press, Thessaloniki: 2015, pp. 1-750 (upcoming)
- Bioethical concerns II-the human face, Papazissi publications, pp. 1-693, with F. Panagopoulou-Koutnatzi (eds.)
- Broadening the horizons of Information law and ethics- a time for inclusion, 2017, Bottis M. & Alexandropoulou T., editors, University of Macedonia Press, 2017, ISBN 978-618-5196-25-7, pp. 1-486
- Bioethical Concerns III / The Child, ed. Papazissi, pp. 550, with F. Panagopoulou.
- Children and Information, aspects of history, law, ethics and culture, Ocelotos publishers, Athens, February 2018, pp. 1-595 plus i-xxxvii, editor and coordinator of the volume, M. Bottis.
- Access to Knowledge in the 21st century: The Interplay of Society, Education, ICT and Philosophy, IAFES: Vienna 2018 (pp. 1-258), Maria Bottis/Johann Guenther (editors). Download the book cover.
- Bioethical Concerns IV-Health and Genetic Data, editor (with F. Panagopoulou-Koutnatzi), introduction by Konstantinos Menoudakos, Papazissi Editions, Athens 2019, pp. 1-424.
More than 80 articles in Greek and foreign journals/publications, contributions in collective works e.tc.